Vermont State Spelling Bee
Sponsored by VTDigger and the VPA
The VPA is excited to offer the opportunity for our Vermont students from grades 1 through 8 to compete in a spelling bee competition through the Scripps National Spelling Bee. A student’s journey begins at the school level and may end at the national level! Below is information to help provide guidance on timeline and process. Visit spellingbee.com to review resources and enroll your school in this exciting opportunity! The Bee’s Educator Guide is helpful for school principals and school bee coordinators.
Schools enroll at spellingbee.com during September and October. The per-school fee is $175 (payable via check or credit card). Once enrolled, school bee coordinators log into spellingbee.com to access to all materials needed to conduct classroom and school bees, including:
- Study lists with spellings and word meanings for grades 1-8,
- The 2023 Classroom Competition List for administering classroom spelling bees,
- The 2023 School Competition List for administering a school spelling bee,
- 2023 Words of the Champions, a 4,000-word study list for your school bee champion(s),
- The Great Words, Great Works reading list containing all source books for the School Spelling Bee Study List, organized by grade level,
- Supplemental word meaning materials for classroom and school levels, and
- Printable award certificates for participants and your school champion.
Schools should conduct their bees anytime between September 2022 and January 2023. Each school may advance up to three bee champions to the VPA Vermont state Bee. Please note: All school champions must be registered on the Scripps website by February 1st, 2023.
School champions use Scripps’ study materials – the 2023 Words of the Champions list – to prepare for our VPA state competition. In addition to the 2023 Words of the Champions study list, all students may download the Bee’s Word Club app via the Google Play Store or Apple Store and access FREE spelling and vocabulary quizzes for all 4,000 words on the 2023 Words of the Champions study list!
The VPA will host our state Bee on March 7th from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. at a location to be announced at a later date.
VPA will honor our top three spelling bee competition winners at our state competition in March. From there, the winner of the VPA state Bee will have the opportunity to advance to the 2023 Scripps National Bee in National Harbor, Maryland. Our VPA state bee champion will prepare for this competition during the remaining weeks of March and April. A Vermont Sponsor will support the student and family member(s) to attend Bee Week at the start of Memorial Day week at Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in National Harbor, Maryland.