Induction Event: Held at the Capitol Plaza Hotel & Conference Center
100 State St., Montpelier, VT
May 1st, 2020 Postponed. New Date: 9-25-20
5:00pm Social Hour
6:45pm Induction Program
Tickets – $45
To purchase tickets please make checks payable to “VPA”
Two Prospect Street, Suite 3, Montpelier, VT 05602
or call 802-229-0547 to pay by credit card.
2021 Nomination Forms will be made available in August of 2020
The Hall of Fame was formed in January 2001 to honor and recognize outstanding individuals who through distinguished service and achievement, have excelled in one or more high school athletic programs or activities sponsored by the VPA. Those who are eligible may include the following:
a) School Administrators – Those individuals who distinguished themselves as school administrators – principals, assistant principals, athletic & activity directors. They may have ascended to other roles, but are being nominated for their contributions at the school level.
- Nominees must exemplify the highest standards of sportsmanship, ethical conduct and moral character.
- Nominees will be judged on their significant and/or long-term contributions to interscholastic activities and athletics on both a local and state-wide basis.
- The categories of administrator, athlete/activity participant, coach/activity advisor, official, media, and contributor are included on the nomination form in order to clarify which category the nominee is to be considered for. The categories exist for screening purposes only, in order to assist those making the nominations in considering the focus of the supporting information that will accompany the nomination.
- All candidates for the Hall of Fame, except for the category of student athletes/activity participants, must be at least 40 years of age prior to November 15th of the applicable year in order to be considered for induction. Student athletes/activity participants must be 25 years of age as of the same date.
The Selection Committee will place the nominees for the Hall of Fame in one of the following categories:
- Approved for Induction
- “Hold for Future Consideration”- a nominee may be considered again for induction in subsequent years.
- “Inactive for Consideration.” “Inactive” indicates the nominee may be considered for Hall of Fame induction at such time if/when additional information is received.
The VPA Hall of Fame Committee reserves the right to review and remove any existing member of the VPA Hall of Fame for egregious behavior or unprofessional conduct that opposes the VPA’s Mission and Hall of Fame’s high ethical expectations.
A nomination is considered to be complete when it contains the following materials:
- The nomination form, with all requested information and signatures completed.
- Three letters of recommendation, from the nominator and other appropriate individuals that speaks directly to the nominee’s qualifications for the HOF.
- Other support material, such as a limited number of newspaper clippings, magazine articles, copies of score books and statistics may be included to help substantiate the accomplishments and contributions of the nominee. These materials should focus on high school accomplishments and contributions and be listed in chronological order. This information is not required.
- All copies should be 8 1/2” x 11”.
- Nominators shall sign the VPA Hall of Fame Nomination Form.
- Please type all material so that the copy is legible.
- Do not use highlighters to point out specific facts; either underline or draw arrows to mark copy.
- Do not use notebooks with plastic sheet protectors.
I. Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the VPA Hall of Fame is to honor and recognize outstanding individuals who have had a significant and lasting impact on the lives of Vermont’s youth through their involvement in high school athletics/activities programs.
II. Hall of Fame Eligibility
Hall of Fame nominees shall include individuals who, through distinguished achievement, have excelled in one or more high school athletic/activities programs sponsored by the VPA. These individuals may include the following:
A) School Administrators (Superintendents, Principals, Athletic Directors)
B) Coaches/Activity Advisors
D) Student Athletes/Activity Participants
- Nominees who are listed in A, B, C, E and F above must have served in that capacity for a minimum of twenty seasons and must be 40 years old prior to November 15 of the applicable year in order to be considered.
- Student Athletes/Fine Arts Participants (D) must be 25 years of age prior to November 15 of the applicable year in order to be considered for induction.
- A special selection committee will judge all nominees on their significant and/or long-term contributions to VPA sponsored athletic/activities programs.
III. Administrative Procedures
Requests will be made available by the VPA to member schools, coaches and officiating associations and to the general public at large through news releases and mailings.
The Selection Committee shall be appointed by the Executive Director of the VPA. The Selection Committee shall receive the nominations/ applications through the VPA Executive Director and will make the final decisions. Selection Committee members will have the authority to nominate additional candidates at the meeting.
The selection committee, including the Executive Director and Director of Student Activities will use the following process to “vote” on candidates:
- All candidates for the category being considered will be listed on the voting form or board.
- Selection Committee members will be given a number of votes equivalent to two less than the total number of candidates within the category. (ie-If there are 10 candidates for the category of administration, each Selection Committee member will have eight votes for that category.)
- The Selection Committee members may then use those eight votes in any combination they choose, ranging from one vote each for eight different candidates to all eight for one or any other combination.
- After the votes are cast in each category, the members of the Selection Committee will decide which candidates are to be inducted.
Recipients will be formally honored at an appropriate ceremony reception. They may also be recognized at local events in their respective communities.
Each recipient shall receive a certificate, VPA memento and a DVD recording of the induction ceremony. The names of each recipient will be included on the VPA Hall of Fame plaque that is on display at the VPA office in Montpelier, Vermont.