2024 Ultimate Guide
The VPA recognizes Ultimate as a sanctioned sport for both boys and girls. Since Vermont is the only state that sanctions Ultimate, we have agreed to follow the rules of Ultimate as established by the USA Ultimate Organization (see attached rules on the Ultimate page)
Spring practice for Ultimate starts on March 25, 2024. Games may begin on April 8, 2024.
General Rules (Boys & Girls)
1. No school shall schedule more than 16 games/events, exclusive of play-offs. A maximum of 4 scrimmages are allowed from the first day of practice, until the playoffs begins.
2. An Ultimate team consists of 7 players on the field.
3. Go to the VPA Ultimate page to determine what is an appropriate Ultimate playing field and its dimensions.
4. Ultimate is a non-contact sport that does not utilize formal officials. Issues that arise during a game are resolved primarily by the players and/or coaches of the teams involved. Coaches may be involved for issues of safety or misconduct.
5. Ultimate is played with a disc that is acceptable to both teams. Players must wear a uniform that is numbered. All players on a team must have matching uniforms.
6. Footwear may not have metallic cleats, track spikes, or worn or broken studs.
7. Length of game – a standard game is over when one team has reached 15 points with a margin of 2 or more points over the opposing team, or 90 minutes, whichever comes first. Once 90 minutes has elapsed and after the current scoring attempt is completed, if the score is tied, play continues until one additional goal is scored. The team with the most goals at the end of the game is the winner. A time keeper is required.
A halftime begins when one teams score reaches or exceeds, half the game total. Halftime is 10 minutes.
Each team is entitled to 3 team timeouts per game. 1 per half and one “floater”. A time out is 70 seconds.
8. Please refer to the USA Ultimate rules for issues such as injury time-outs, player substitutions, technical time-outs, starting/restarting play and other rules. A link to these rules are on the VPA website.
9. During tournament play, semifinals, and finals, an observer/judge should be present to help break ties in on-field calls/discussions.
Playoff Season: (Boys & Girls) (anticipated dates)
– All tournament games must be fully completed. Any game stopped before completion shall be resumed where it was stopped at the next available date.
If the higher seeds team field is unsuitable: the game will be played at the lower seed team field.