Margaret Waddington left Vermont schools a great gift – one that could transform school leadership within a decade.
The late Dr. Margaret Waddington was one of the many individuals transformed by CCL’s flagship Leadership Development Program (LDP)®. So much so that the pioneering neurologist and resident of Rutland became a strong financial supporter of CCL and upon her passing in 2015, entrusted the organization with a multimillion dollar estate gift to ensure ongoing access to leadership development for women, men, and the young people of Vermont.
Efficacy Report (November 2020)
CCL Senior Evaluation Faculty Member, Dr. Micela Leis, has put together highlights of the data collected through Cohort #7.
Waddington Leadership Initiative, Extended Offerings 2021-22
WADDINGTON COHORT 10, Now Enrolled
- Session 1: June 22, 2021 – June 24, 2021 in Greensboro, North Carolina at the Campus of the Center for Creative Leadership.
- Session 2: September 28, 2021 & September 29 2021 to be held at Mt. Top, Vermont
- Session 3: March 22, 2022 & March 23, 2022 to be held at Mt. Top, Vermont
Waddington Cohort 11 (enrolling)
- Mandatory Introductory Zoom Meeting – Thursday February 10th, 4 p.m.
- Session 1: April 6-8, 2022 Greensboro NC (W-F) (Check in Tuesday 5th, Check out Friday 8th or Saturday 9th)
- Session 2: July 19-20, 2022 VT (Mountain Top Inn) (Check in Monday 18th, Check out Wednesday 20th)
- Session 3: Oct 25-26, 2022 VT (Mountain Top Inn) (T-W) Check in Monday 24th, Check out Wednesday 26th)
WADDINGTON Cohort 12 (enrolling)
- Mandatory Introductory Zoom Meeting – Thursday April 28th, 4 p.m.
- Session 1: June 22-24, 2022 Greensboro NC (W-F) (Check in Tuesday 21st, Check out Friday 24th or Saturday 25th)
- Session 2: Nov 8-9, 2022 VT (Mountain Top Inn) (Check in Monday 7th, Check out Wednesday 9th)
- Session 3: March 9-10, 2023 Stowe VT (Top Notch Inn) (Th-F) (Check in Wed., March 8th, Check out Fri., March 10th)
WADDINGTON PART 2, Cohort 1: Now Enrolled
- Session 1: February 3 & February 4, 2021 remotely
- Session 2: July 27, 28, 29, 2021, held in Greensboro, NC
- Session 3: November 9-10, 2021 at Mt. Top, Vermont
WADDINGTON PART 2, Cohort 2: Now Enrolled
- Session 1: 9/14-16/21 Session 1 in Greensboro, NC
- Session 2: 11/16-17/21 Session 2 at Mt. Top, Vermont
- Session 3: 2/16-17/22 Session 3 at Mt. Top, Vermont
About PART 2: The Center for Creative Leadership and the Vermont Principals’ Association are pleased to offer the Waddington Institute for School Leaders part 2. You must have successfully completed the initial seven-day Waddington program to participate. First consideration will be given to VPA members in the selection process. These Waddington Institute cohorts will continue the focus on leading self, and will also dig deeper into the strategic leadership necessary to impact and improve the collective efficacy of a school or district in service of supporting both academic and social emotional growth of students. All alumni of cohorts 1-9 were welcome to apply for Waddington Part 2. The Part 2 program will include assessments such as the Benchmarks for Education Leaders 360 (which was first introduced to cohort 7 in the initial Waddington Leadership Institute programming), the Workplace Big 5, the 4 Mat learning styles, and other assessments not used in the original Waddington training. Experiential learning activities that focus on creating high performing systems and teams, building relational trust, and becoming more strategic as a leader are designed into the sessions. The sessions will also include a deep dive into Polarity Thinking and Mapping, Boundary Spanning Leadership, Burn Bright Resilience (CCL’s newest interpretation on the ever expanding research on leadership resilience), Beyond Bias (equity, diversity, and inclusion), and other important tools, resources, and approaches for school leaders. Waddington Part 2 participants will engage their schools/districts with a full Systemic (Student) Leadership Bundle, which includes but is not limited to: Leadership Indicators for Students, Social Emotional Leadership Course for Teachers (25 seats), and Teacher Collective Efficacy Course (25 seats).
Selection Criteria Priority Ranking for Cohort Selections
- VPA Membership
- VPA Governing Committees Membership
- Active Principal/Assistant Principal
- Years as a VPA Member
- All Others
- Read this Center for Creative Leadership blogpost by CCL’s Micela Leis which features Vermont data regarding principal turnover. It connects the benefits of the investment in professional learning in comparison to the costs with principal turnover. The blog also shares this great piece of data: “Additionally, 91% of Waddington participants are still principals in Vermont compared to 56% of non-Waddington participants.”
Cohort #2.2 (to be completed February 2022)
Cohort #10 (to be completed March 2022)
Cohort #11 (to be completed Oct. 2022)
Cohort #12 (to be completed March 2023)