Part 1: Vermont: Diversifying the Educator Workforce Series with Lashawn Whitmore-Sells
Part 1 Vermont: Diversifying the Educator Workforce Series with Lashawn Whitmore-Sells
In Part 1, Mike talks with Lashawn Whitmore-Sells. Lashawn has been a teacher and school leader of color in Vermont since 1992. She currently works in the Champlain Valley School District as a Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI) coach in Shelburne Community School. In this conversation Lashawn shares some of her own history with helping to lead past recruitment and retention work for diversifying the educator workforce in Vermont. She shares insights about what has worked and what has not worked in previous initiatives and provides suggested guidance for Vermont-specific recommendations for current efforts.
- Mapping the Regional Landscape Snapshot: March 2022, Great Schools Partnership New England Analysis of Diversifying the Educator Workforce
- The Rowland Foundation, Diversifying the Educator Workforce (DEW) Grants starting in January 2023.
- Brookings Institute, low retention, diversity among school principals sparks need for long-term strategies, this article has several resources and recommendations including some recent research on strategies for diversifying the educator workforce with internal, local pipelines (November, 2022)
- Vision Document for Sustaining Educators of Color in VT (as developed by the Vermont Educators of Color Association (spring, 2022)
- New England Secondary School Consortium (NESSC) Task Force on Diversifying the Educator Workforce & Related Resources (2019-20).