The 10 Non-Negotiables of MTSS – with Jamie Kinnarney & Michaela Martin
March 31st & April 1st, 2020
Time 9:30 – 4:00 (9:00 Registration Opens)
VSBIT – Berlin, Vermont
Registration Fee: $275 for two days
(Fee includes Breakfast & Lunch for both days)
Building an equitable, comprehensive academic and social/emotional system that supports all learners, requires school leaders having a strong understanding of the conceptual underpinnings of these systems so that they can design realistic, sustainable, and community responsive programming. In addition, leaders need to understand the identified non-negotiables of effective leadership in order to implement a highly effective system of supports. Using their school and district as a proven model, the instructors will share how they have built an effective system in the areas of: culture and climate, assessment, instruction, intervention, effective collaboration, and professional learning. They will also share specific decisions, scenarios, and strategies that all systems can utilize as colleagues bring a comprehensive MTSS plan to life.
- Understand how to create a culture and climate that supports the interdependence of both academic and social/emotional systems;
- Understand the role of distributed leadership in a sustained model of MTSS;
- Understand how to maximize capacity and precious resources, as well as increase fiscal responsibility, within an MTSS (strategic/vision budgeting);
- Develop and/or assess their comprehensive assessment system;
- Understand rate of growth and individualized goal setting for all learners;
- Understand how to use assessment data to provide differentiated instruction that is responsive to students’ diverse strengths and needs;
- Understand how to develop and/or assess high quality universal instruction with a focus on deep content area knowledge;
- Understand how to develop an intervention menu for academic & social/emotional supports; and
- Develop a three year action plan, including materials & resources to support implementation.
Attend the VPA spring sessions to grow your understanding of system and school leadership necessary to build MTSS, and then bring your school-based team to the VT-HEC summer sessions to further design your implementation plan.
Cancellation Policy: For all Vermont Principals’ Association professional learning events, the VPA must be notified in writing, of any cancellations no later than 10 days prior to the event. Cancellation notifications received after the 10 day deadline will be subject to a fee of 50% of the total cost of registration.